It goes without saying that hair is monumentally important to most people. It has such a bearing on our self-image and self-confidence that 30% of hair loss sufferers said they would give up sex if it meant getting back their hair, and the worldwide revenue for surgical hair restoration is above the 1.87 billion dollar mark. These are impressive numbers, but they accurately reflect just how important hair is to most people. Unfortunately hair loss is something that happens to everyone, although not to the same degree. For those who tend to lose a lot of it, hair loss prevention and hair loss restoration products can be the solution. However, with a market so saturated with different products it can be daunting to pick the right ones. After all, it could easily be that a certain unverified product doesn’t do anything at all, or that it does more harm than good, worsening the situation. Besides, trying product after product can get really expensive. That’s precisely why this guide exists. By the end of it you’ll be much more well versed on hair loss, why it occurs and how to treat it. You’ll also have a working knowledge on what to look for in a hair loss shampoo that works for your particular type of hair.
|Shampoo||About the Product||Ounce||Rating||Price|
|#1 BEST SELLER - PURA D'OR Anti-Hair Loss Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo|
100% NATURAL. 100% Natural Preservative Anti-Hair Loss Formula with 15 Broad-Spectrum DHT Blockers.
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.3 out of 5 stars||$$$|
|#2 BEST SELLER - PURA D'OR Hair Loss Prevention Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo|
Natural Solution. Clinically tested & proven to prevent hair loss due to breakage. Follicle-stimulating formula with 12 DHT Blockers.
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.0 out of 5 stars||$$|
|#3 BEST SELLER - Art Naturals Organic Argan Oil Hair Loss Shampoo for Hair Regrowth|
Reduce thinning and shedding, adding body, thickness, and volume to your hair. 100% all-natural ingredients. Use as a regular shampoo.
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.1 out of 5 stars||$$|
|Lipogaine Big 3 Premium Hair Loss Prevention shampoo for Men and Women (2 in 1 formula)|
Contains ketoconazole, the scientifically proven and must-have ingredient for a hair loss shampoo
|8 Fluid Ounce||4.4 out of 5 stars||$$|
|PURA D'OR Hair Loss Prevention Therapy Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo|
Clinically Proven Power. Clinically tested formula with a new look! Proven to prevent hair loss due to breakage. Natural Preservative formula with 12 DHT Blockers.
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.0 out of 5 stars||$$|
|Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine - Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo|
TOP RATED 2015 SHAMPOO FOR HAIR REGROWTH STIMULATION
|11 Fluid Ounce||4.4 out of 5 stars||$$$$|
|#1 TOP RATED - Neugaine Premium Organic Hair Loss Shampoo, 3 in 1, Natural Hair Revitalizing Shampoo for Men and Women|
The ONLY 100% Natural Base Anti-Hair Loss Formula with Biotin and 17+ Natural DHT blocking blend. Big Size (16 oz, Sufficient for 3 Months Use)
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.8 out of 5 stars||$$$|
|Organic Hair Growth and Anti Hair Loss Shampoo - Natural Premium Treatment for Men and Women|
168% increased regrowth and 60% less loss in clinical trials PLUS immediate improvements in luster and shine! Vitamins Gold Label Shampoo is GUARANTEED!
|13.9 Fluid Ounce||4.7 out of 5 stars||$$$$|
|Majestic Pure anti Hair Loss and Regrowth Shampoo for Men & Women|
Offers Potent Natural Ingredients, Add Volume, Strengthen Hair and hair regrowth shampoo with 14 broad spectrum DHT blockers offers perfect herbal and natural treatment.
|16 Fluid Ounce||4.5 out of 5 stars||$$|
|Biotin Shampoo for Women and Men|
This maximum strength hair loss prevention and treatment shampoo contains biotin as well as provitamin B5 zinc coconut oil and several other nutrient rich botanicals. This blend works to remove DHT buildup and clean the scalp and hair of dandruff flakes and scales. This stimulates hair follicles and promotes circulation to encourage healthy hair growth.
|8 Fluid Ounce||4.7 out of 5 stars||$$|
What is Hair Loss?
Before going any further it needs to be said that losing hair is normal. It is something that happens to everyone, and happens all the time, literally. Strands of hair fall out constantly to give way to new strands to grow. People lose hair whenever they comb their hair, clean it during a shower, massage their scalp or dry with a towel. It sometimes even happens naturally, without any force applied, and it shouldn’t be a cause of concern as long as it’s kept within certain limits. It is known that a regular person can lose 100 strands every day and it would still be considered normal, but anything above that number should be a cause for concern. Of course, no one can keep track of every strand of hair they lose a day, but 100 strands per day constitutes a rough estimate of what is considered to be normal. Losing more than that daily is medically considered hair loss, a term that means you are losing more strands that you are growing, which will lead to eventual baldness. Although hair loss is a continuous process it’s one that can be interrupted -and even reversed- with the right treatments.
What Causes Hair Loss?
There are various reasons why people experience hair loss, and it’s usually a combination of two or more of these reasons that end up causing baldness. The most common causes are:
• Heredity: One of the main causes for hair loss, heredity is not really a disease but rather a natural condition caused by a person’s genetics and hormone levels, and increased by age.
• Poor Nutrition: All hair is mainly made up of protein, which means that a protein-deficient diet could be directly related to hair loss. Iron-deficiency (anemia) and lack of vitamin C can play a huge role in a person’s hair loss as well.
• Stress: People say stress is the biggest killer, and that may be truth for hair as well. Stress is capable of pushing hair follicles into a resting phase, which then causes hair to fall out. It can even affect a person’s immune system, causing it to attack and kill hair follicles.
• Chemotherapy: This kind of treatment for cancer attacks all rapidly dividing cells and not just unhealthy ones. Since hair follicles are amongst those fast-growing cells they are usually targeted and eliminated as well as cancerous cells.
• Thyroid Diseases: Hormonal unbalances such as thyroid diseases can cause hair to fall out.
• Age: About 40% of men will have noticeable hair loss by the time they’re 35 years old, and that number goes up to 65% by the time they’re 60. This is due to the fact that, as with all cells in the body, aging follicles can debilitate and die.
• Male Pattern Baldness: This is a condition that affects men where hair follicles shrink due to the influence of androgenic hormones.
Although these aren’t all the causes for hair loss they’re the most pervasive. Going through them it’s clear that hair loss is something that affects men more than women due to genetic constitution and conditions such as Male Pattern Baldness which affects them exclusively. However, that does not mean that women are unaffected, as hair loss affects roughly one in four women. This being the case many people try to prevent hair loss -and sometimes even reverse it- by using products such as hair loss shampoos. However it isn’t always easy to know when to start doing it. You probably want to know when to start worrying, which is perfectly understandable.
When to Start Worrying About Hair Loss?
Initially, what you must look for are the signs of hair loss. There are different ways in which hair can fall out depending on what is causing the hair loss. The most common one for men is the gradual thinning on the top of the head, which is something to look out for. There are other warning signs though, like circular or patchy bald spots or shedding, which is the sudden loss of hair overall. It’s also important to watch out for patches of scaling that spread over the scalp, which is a sign of ringworm and needs to be taken care of immediately. It may be accompanied by redness of the scalp, broken hair strands and even oozing. In general it’s advised to keep in mind genetic predisposition (by looking at parents and other family members) while keeping control of hair loss. If you see hair on your clothes or pillows often, and it seems to simply fall out without any force when you shower or brush, you may need to do something sooner rather than later.
However, there are also medical exams that can be performed on you in order to find out what your status is and whether it would be wise to get you treatment. Hair analysis is done by a doctor who will look at the pattern of your hair loss as well as examine your scalp and remaining hair in order to determine what your condition is. The doctor will usually also ask you questions about your family and your lifestyle to get a full picture of your status. There are also lab tests that can be performed just by examining some of your hair under a microscope, and even blood tests that can determine whether your thyroid gland is underactive or overactive. Any way you choose to go about it, once you have determined you have a hair loss problem it’s time to take action and do something about it before it’s too late.
There are several different ways you can go in order to prevent hair loss. Many people try supplements, although it’s been highly debated whether they work or not. Some of the more common ones are Biotin, vitamins A and C, flax-seed oil, Zinc, Selenium and Folic Acid. There are also creams, lotions and gels. Some people have reported having a positive effect from these, but the number of people who got negative effects or no effects at all is high in most categories, which means there are basically no guarantees with any particular product out of the thousands that can be bought. In any case, some of these products are natural and harmless, in which case it’s safe to give them a try. However, most professionals find that these kind of products are better used as a complementary measure for a more comprehensive kind of treatment to deal with an existing problem. What you want is a product that you can use everyday to improve the health of your existing hair while also promoting the growth of new hair wherever it was lost. Enter Hair Loss Shampoo.
What is Hair Loss Shampoo?
One of the most basic and important products to prevent and treat hair loss before it becomes a difficult, or even impossible problem to solve, is hair loss shampoo. It’s a great way to build up on the daily habit of shampooing in order to prevent hair loss. So what is Hair Loss Shampoo? Basically it is a shampoo that has added properties, supplements and ingredients that help keep hair healthy and strong.
Although there are different brands and types, hair loss shampoos usually have the same basic benefits. First of all they have vitamins and proteins which strengthen and smoothen individual strands of hair from the roots. Doing this they also they pump up the volume of the individual strands, which makes them less likely to fall out. At the same time they control dry scalp while removing dandruff and oil, which enhances the shine, luster and overall quality of the hair, giving it a healthier look and a stronger build.
What Ingredients to Look For?
Of course, not all hair loss shampoos are the same. The most important variations between them tend to be in composition and ingredients, which is to say that each one has a special recipe that claims to be good for your hair. Often there will be a main ingredient which is said to have special characteristics that will do amazing things to a person’s hair. The truth is there are various different special ingredients that have been proven to benefit a percentage of people to varying degrees. Some examples are:
• Caffeine: It turns out caffeine isn’t only a powerful stimulant but also an enhancer of hair growth. The International Journal of Dermatology has published a study which states that caffeine stimulates the hair shaft which allows faster growth, while at the same time blocking the negative effects of the chemical DHT.
• Biotin: A rather popular ingredient in hair loss products, Biotin is a vitamin that is found in different foods. It’s an important part of enzymes that help break down certain substances, which then get converted into the building blocks of hair and nails.
• Minoxidil: Another product that helps block DHT, Minoxidil is an active ingredient that is often used to treat shedding. Minoxidil is a vasodilator, which means that it dilates blood vessels in the scalp, which may enhance the function of hair follicles function, and at the same time stimulate hair growth.
• Vitamin B3: Also known as Niacin or Nicotinic Acid, Vitamin B3 is found in various foods like eggs and grains. It’s of great importance for the body since it helps turn food into energy, which is why Niacin deficiency results in fatigue and tiredness. More related to hair growth, though, is the fact that Vitamin B3 dilate the blood vessels, widening capillaries and thus improving circulation.
• Vitamin B6: This is another vitamin that helps prevent hair loss, but it does so in a different way than B3. Vitamin B6 helps regulate hormonal overproduction that can sometimes have a negative effect on hair growth. It is particularly recommended for women with hair loss problems, as it often stems from hormonal deficiency or unbalance.
• Lactic Acid: Produced through sweat, Lactic acid isn’t naturally a positive substance for your hair. In fact, excessive perspiration has been found to cause hair loss. However, studies have shown that when added to shampoo it can help stimulate and revert damage in a person’s hair, making it smoother and more manageable. This makes Lactic Acid a common ingredient in hair products
• Tea Tree Oil: While it doesn’t directly influence hair loss or growth, Tea Tree Oil can help keep hair clean and healthy, eliminating dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis from the scalp, and clearing harmful residues from hair follicles.
Of course, every person has different reactions to each particular formula, so it may take a some looking around to find the one that works for you. You should also make sure you are not allergic or sensitive to a particular ingredient. When it’s time to decide for a particular product just keep in mind that before deciding to try out something new it’s important to go through the list of ingredients, as there are some you may want, but there are others you’ll definitely want to avoid.
What to Avoid?
While there are many ingredients that have positive effects on your hair, there are also others that can actually cause damage. The following are some of the most common harmful ingredients in hair loss shampoo:
• Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: This is a harsh detergent that creates foaming lather but can damage your hair in the long run by stripping it of essential oils that help keep it healthy.
• Polyethelyne Glycol: This agent is eliminates the natural moisture hair and skin have.
• Alcohol: Even though most hair-care products use alcohol in small concentrations, try to avoid those that use it as a main ingredient since it can dry your hair out.
• Parabens: There are several parabens such as methylparaben and propylparaben which are toxic in nature. Some hair loss shampoos use parabens to prolong their shelf-life, but they should be avoided since these substances are known for irritating the skin and damaging the scalp, which can provoke hair loss.
You should avoid these ingredients like the plague if you are worried about your hair. In order to help you do just that, and to obtain the most benefits from the helpful ingredients listed previously, here is a rundown of the best hair loss shampoos in the market right now.
The Best Hair Loss Shampoos
• Ultrax Labs Hair Surge Caffeine Stimulating Shampoo: This product doesn’t just have an impressive name, but an impressive performance as well. It combines the amazing properties of caffeine previously discussed with micro-blend technology that make it more effective. Add to that the fact that works greatly for both men and women and you have a serious contender.
• DS Laboratories Revita Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo: Through the dissemination of amino-acids this products stimulates lost hair re-growth. What makes it so impressive is that it also thickens existing hair and strengthens hair follicles, making it one of the most complete and comprehensive products out there. Since it deploys natural cleansers it contains no sodium laureth sulfate or other chemical agents that may harm your hair.
• Plantur 39 250ML Phyto-Caffeine Shampoo: Another caffeine product, this one has the particularity of having a special formula that helps the healing of colored and stressed hair, which makes it a great hair loss shampoo for women. It also has active ingredients that help the scalp fight back the negative effects of declining estrogen levels.
• Lipogaine Big 3 Premium Hair Loss Prevention Shampoo for Men and Women: This is a great product that contains 0.02% ketoconazole, which promotes hair growth by inhibiting DHT. Ketoconazole also kills the fungi that causes dandruff and other scalp conditions. The main active ingredient is Saw Palmetto, which also inhibits DHT and enhances health of the scalp. Besides all that it contains some of the other ingredients already discussed such as Niacin and Biotin, which makes it one of the most complete products out there.
• Phytoworx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo: One of the most natural and organic products out there, Phytoworx Organic Hair Loss Shampoo relies on plant stem cells and essential oils to promote hair loss and scalp health. It includes Tea Tree Oil combined with other natural essences in order to help treat scalp problems such as flakiness, irritation, inflammation and even bald spots.
• Nioxin Cleanser: This is a robust product, fortified with vitamins, minerals and sulfates that help strengthen and fortify existing hair follicles. However its most important function is blocking the excessive production of testosterone, and therefore DHT, which as previously discussed is directly related to hair loss. By rearranging the topical composition of the scalp it promotes healthier and long-lasting hair growth. This is why it constitutes a great treatment for volume as well as growth. It also features a concentrated blend of botanicals and humectants and contains no alcohol at all, which make it a very healthy product. Besides all that Nioxin removes product build up, minerals, pollutants and other toxins that may be harmful in elevated concentrations.
So there you go, now you have a lot more knowledge about hair loss shampoos and their benefits, while also having become wiser as to what to avoid. In general it’s recommended that you do extensive research and try several products before you make your decision, but hopefully this Ultimate Guide for Hair Loss Shampoo will help you do that a little bit more comfortable, while also saving you a good deal of time and money. After all, it’s important to be able to live a calm and relaxed life in order to have a healthy head of hair, and with this list you’ll have one less thing to worry about.