More often than not, pregnant women notice their hair to be fuller and thicker than usual. But it is more common for your hair to fall out after childbirth rather than during your pregnancy.
Information about hair loss during pregnancy is very limited. One of the possible reasons that may justify your hair loss experience during pregnancy is due to the production of the progesterone hormone, which is normally released during pregnancy in high levels. It also is the common reason why you notice your hair to be drier. In this case, your precious hair will be more prone to breakage, especially after you give birth. This may look as hair loss but it is not because it simply breaks near its roots. But it can still be distressing for a lot of pregnant women.
If you notice an abnormal hair loss on your head, it is about time to consult your OB or midwife. He may provide you with relevant information that will help you in finding the cause and reduce the common risks that may be brought by this hair problem.
You can also try these tips to help in reducing the damage that hair loss can bring:
• Avoid over-washing your hair. This is one of the things that can greatly help in preventing further damage to your already damaged hair.
• Try using mild shampoo and conditioner. It may also help if you use a shampoo that is made from natural products.
• Use detangling comb or brush when brushing your wet hair. Or you may want to avoid brushing your hair while it is wet.
• Avoid wearing your hair in a tight bun or ponytail to prevent it from breakage.
• During pregnancy, avoid using chemical dyes or hair straightening treatments. This may affect your hair’s condition, thus making it look more brittle and drier.
Hair loss during pregnancy can be avoided if you practice a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables that are rich in antioxidants and flavonoids to help in protecting your hair follicles, thus encouraging hair growth.
Water is very vital, especially during pregnancy. Pregnant women are advised to drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday. It would not also hurt to drink an additional glass of water if you are doing light to moderate exercises.
Consult Your Doctor
This can also be caused by a serious problem other than hormonal changes. It is important to have a regular check-up with your doctor if you notice your hair falling in large amount. You can also get checked for thyroid problems, which is one of the causes of hair loss among men and women. It is better to be sure on the root cause of the problem before employing medication, especially during pregnancy because it is not only your health is at risk, your baby’s health too.